Saturday 2 July 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

 My Dad surprised me the other day by getting me 'Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty' out from the library. I have to say it's a really interesting insight into McQueen's life. I learnt a lot about him that I didn't know, for instance:


he left school at the age of 16 with only one academic qualification in Art

while at school he joined the synchronized swimming team but unfortunately one time he miss calculated a back somersault dive and landed at the pool side shattering his front teeth which he didn't have fixed until much later.

Soon after he got himself a job on Savile Row, working under Cornelius O'Callaghan at Anderson & Sheppard tailors. McQueen was there for two years, and left after stating to his friends and family that he was bored. He later told journalists that he had scrawled obscenities into the lining of a jacket destined for the Price Of Wales. The company called back all the pieces made for this client but nothing was ever found.

He aspired to work for Romeo Gigli in Milan as he said 'nothing was going on in London' so his sister who was a travel agent booked him a one way ticket. When he got there they said they nothing for him, he claimed his portfolio was probably the worst Gigli had seen, full of costume design. However as he was leaving the interview a woman came screaming after him 'Stop, stop, stop, Romeo wants to see you. He wants to see you tomorrow. Come Back.' The following morning McQueen was hired.

- I have to admire his determination of getting a one way ticket to go after a job, I hope that when the time comes I will do something like this.



The cover of the book is a hologram, changing from face to skeleton.





Absolutely one of my favorites.



Want these so badly.






Can't get over how much I like the patterns on the last few dresses.

WOW


I strongly recommend having a look at this, hopefully your library  has it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, them outfits are amazings! I love McQueen his work speaks for itself. I definatly think he is an major inspiraton in the fashion industry.

    ReplyDelete